Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My Life. My choices. My mistakes. My lessons. Not your business...





My Life. My choices. My mistakes. My lessons. Not your business...
Do you have something or someone in your life you just ....can't deal with?....well this can effect you...emotionally, physically......its not good.

Learn to communicate your needs more effectively. For example, instead of using common language of subordination expressed by such words as "no", "don't", "should", "stop", "good", "bad" and "have", you could instead try expressing your needs by stating "I need you to...".

Your thoughts, moods, attitudes, and behaviors strongly influence your health and vitality.

I sat down for dinner a couple of nights ago and half way through dinner I realized that I was shoveling food down as if there was no tomorrow. That’s just my way of saying I was eating mindlessly and oblivious to the taste, sight, smell and texture of the food. After a couple of deep breaths I started to eat more slowly so I could enjoy the experience of eating. That also gave me thinking space to reflect on what was happening and I realized that I was eating mindlessly as I was feeling frazzled after a stressful week! Furthermore, although mindful comfort eating can be a way of coping with stress, I noticed that mindless comfort eating was not very self soothing and seemed to heighten the experience of stress.

Trying to maintain your health and weight when life is throwing some major life stresses at you (such as the death of a loved one, work redundancy, relationship breakdown etc) is challenging to say the least! While some people lose weight in times of major life stress, many others tend to put on weight as comfort eating increases and physical activity decreases. Adding to this, the hormone cortisol is released in higher amounts at times of stress and this tends to slow down metabolism which will lead to weight gain.

I seem to have experienced many major life stresses that really took a toll on my health. It would be nice to think that no further major stresses will occur in my life and I’ll go on to live happily ever after, free from stress, however, reality seeps in and tells me that major life stresses are inevitable and will occur at some point in the future – here’s hoping it’s just not all at once!

So how do you maintain your sanity and health and when going through major life stress?

Self Care, Self Care, Self Care!
A common theme I have noticed in many people when they are going through major life stress, is they tend to reduce or completely stop engaging in activities they need to do to allow themselves to sooth their distress. For example, many people stop going out with friends, or they stop eating well, or they stop exercising or stop doing things that they normally give them pleasure. Looking after yourself is important at any time and in times of major life stress it is even more essential to engage in self care.


Fixating on thoughts and emotions, day in day out, affects all aspects of our lives. Learning to be mindful of our “internal dialogue” helps us recognize thought patterns and how they may be affecting the way we handle the situations of daily living.

Many people have found that, when they tune in to their internal dialogue, much of it is negative. Thoughts like, “I could never do that” and “What if I fail?” can seriously impact the way we behave. Stress, apparently associated with attachment to this negative internal dialogue, in turn, affects every aspect of our lives.

When we are stressed, specific hormones circulate in the body. Released infrequently, these hormones are harmless, produced continuously, they are associated with serious damage. Cardiovascular disease is related in part to continuous bombardment of stress hormones and arterial damage caused by free radicals created in the process.

Letting go of attachment to these negative thoughts and emotions is liberating. This is a process in itself that is well worth the effort. Very effective methods to help to place the mind at ease have been developed over thousands of years.





Weight Watchers Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche

Ingredients:
- 6 oz pie crust, 9-inch, refrigerated
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onions, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg white
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or more to taste
- 10 oz frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and well-drained
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

TIP: Not a broccoli fan? Substitute spinach in its place.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Press pie crust into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch, removable-bottom tart pan or a 9-inch pie pan; refrigerate until ready to use.
To make filling, heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Transfer onion to a large bowl and add ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, egg, egg whites, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper; mix well and fold in broccoli. Spoon mixture into prepared crust and level surface with a wooden spoon; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and chopped dill.
Bake until a knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.

Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 slice (1/8th of quiche)
Each serving = 5 Weight Watchers Points



Read more: http://www.laaloosh.com/2009/04/14/weight-watchers-broccoli-and-cheddar-quiche-recipe/#ixzz1ZozzvsfQ

No comments:

Post a Comment