Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I am thankful for life....and.........

I am thankful for life and the realization that each new day is a chance to once again try to live the very best life I was intended to live. I am going through a little bump in the road right now. I have a dear friend in the same boat...Jodean again,I write about you!....and me :)

It's a Wonderful Life .. if we just take time to sift through any difficulties and count our blessings .. for there really are far more blessings than we initially realize.
When you have a negative body image, lack and scarcity are also mostly what you focus on. You lack this. You lack that. And, as a result, your worldview and happiness also shrink.

The more you nit-pick, the more you find unacceptable with your body. The more negative your body image, the more fixated you become on fixing yourself. On dieting or exercising away those countless bad body parts.

Soon life turns into, “When my thighs get thinner, I’ll be happier.” “When I lose those last 5 lbs., I’ll look much better, and I’ll feel much better about myself.” ”

“When I look a different way, life will be perfect.”

When we live in this world of wishes, we live in the future – instead of truly being in and enjoying the present.

Plus, when we’re preoccupied with what we don’t have (or the negative parts we do have), it’s hard to be positive all around. The negativity starts to pervade other facets of our lives.

One practical way to start building a more positive body image is to practice gratitude. “Spend some time making a list of things you’re thankful for having, rather than you wish you had.” You can write positive things about your body or do a general gratitude list, or both.

The benefits~ “it will definitely change your mood, make you feel more positive, and allow you to focus on the abundance of all you have!” I could’t agree more. (BTW, she says that you can substitute the word “grateful” with “appreciate,” if you like.)

I’ll start us off. Here’s my combo gratitude list:

1.I am grateful for my strong body, which has done some challenging things throughout my life.
2.I am grateful for my facial features, which when I’m resemble my mom and dad’s, and that makes me happy and proud.
3.I am grateful for my muscular legs.
4.I am grateful for my hands, which let me write for hours.
5.I am grateful for my body overall, which is unique to me, and only me.
6.I am grateful for my feet, which take me anywhere I want to go.
7.I am grateful for my stomach. It’s far from flat but it gives me the strength to do some pretty cool things in my exercise routine.
8.I am grateful for this blog and its awesome readers.
9.I am grateful for my husband and my family and friends, whose support, knows-no-bounds generosity and unconditional love mean a lot to me.
10.I am grateful for being alive.
What about you?

Maybe you’re grateful for your kids and how your body gave birth to them (we often forget just what an amazing accomplishment that is!). Maybe you’re grateful for your job or the ability to do a certain hobby. Maybe you’re grateful that your feet will take you anywhere too.

Maybe you’re grateful because you have your mom’s eyes(i...do....). Maybe you’re grateful for your muscular legs or strong stomach. For being in recovery from an eating disorder. For the people in your life. For having a gorgeous smile.

It can be anything, no matter how big or how seemingly small.

Try writing a list of 10 things, and keep that list handy so you can remind yourself whenever your inner critic starts creeping in. You might also want to keep a gratitude journal and write in it several days a week. Consider writing what you’re thankful for in general, and why you’re thankful for your body, too.



Crockpot Tuscan Sausage and Bean Soup
Servings - 6 Servings size - approx. 1 1/2 cups or 1/6th of recipe Points plus per servings - 6 points+
Calories - 241, Total Fat - 5g, Carb., - 31g, Protein - 19g Fiber - 8g


12 oz. turkey smoked sausage ( such as Hillshire Farms brand), sliced
2 cloves garlic, rough chopped
1 onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
2 large celery stalks, diced
1/2 cup cauliflower florets, chopped ( optional, I added because I wanted to use them up)
1/2 medium bunch kale, stems removed, and leaves chopped ( about 4 cups)
3 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
2 cans ( 15.5 oz each) of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
One (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes, with Italian seasonings
1/2 cup dry red wine ( or water)
1 tsp. dried basil
salt and pepper, to taste*
juice of half a lemon


1. In a slow cooker, combine all of the ingredients. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high, until the vegetables are tender. ( If you choose to cook on stove top, saute the carrots, onion, garlic, celery and cauliflower ( if using) in a little cooking spray in dutch oven or large stock pot for about 5 min. Add the basil and cook for another minute or so. Then add the rest of the ingredients, bring to boil, and allow to simmer, slightly covered, until vegetables are tender...about an hour or so)

2. Squeeze juice of half a lemon into the soup and stir. Enjoy.


*this recipe does not require much salt, if any...the sausage, the beans and the canned tomatoes add quite a bit of salt to the recipe on their own. I would advise you to taste before you salt.


~~~ My Kitchen Adventures. ~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment