Thursday, July 12, 2012




Becoming selfish......focusing on me...trying to quit distractions

Intuitive eating. Have you heard about it? Here’s a crash course:
Intuitive eating is an approach that teaches you how to create a healthy relationship with your food, mind, and body–where you ultimately become the expert of your own body. You learn how to distinguish between physical and emotional feelings, and gain a sense of body wisdom.
The underlying premise of Intuitive Eating is that you will learn to respond to your inner body cues, because you were born with all the wisdom you need for eating intuitively. On the surface, this may sound simplistic, but it is rather complex. This inner wisdom is often clouded by years of dieting and food myths that abound in the culture. For example, “Eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full” may sound like basic common sense, but when you have a history of chronic dieting or of following rigid “healthy” rules about eating, it can be quite difficult. To be able to ultimately return to your inborn Intuitive Eater, a number of things need to be in place—most importantly, the ability to trust yourself!

When someone is disconnected from his or her internal cues, it is easier to be triggered by external triggers to eat (which can be emotions, “because it’s time”, opportunity, and/or perceived rules of eating.)

Intuitive Eating is often based on the below principles:

  1. Reject the Diet Mentality
  2. Honor Your Hunger
  3. Make Peace with Food
  4. Challenge the Food Police
  5. Respect Your Fullness
  6. Discover the Satisfaction Factor
  7. Honor Your Feelings Without Using Food
  8. Respect Your Body
  9. Exercise–Feel the Difference
  10. Honor Your Health

Looks good, right? No huge red flags? So how does one get to intuitive eating? Holy mother of all answers! Where to even begin…?!

Eat to live; live to eat.

Mindful eating.

Eating for fuel.

Eat when we are hungry, stop when we aren’t.

Oh Lordy, I have to tell you – It feels so overwhelming. But in the past few months, it has become evident to me I need to focus more on my body and less on the world.

The problem? I have no clue what my body sounds like. That’s the truth. Okay, yes I know what it feels like to be hungry or full. But do I really know when I am satisfied? Do I really know when my body needs protein? Do I know when my body is telling me it is hungry versus thirsty versus tired? The problem with this world, my world, is that, like a lot of others, I have so much going on I’ve stopped paying attention to the very basic, and often quiet, messages my body is trying to send me. I am so distracted by every single shiny object, I never pay attention to what my body is telling me.

My body sends me messages, yes. The sad state of my life is that those messages are often over-ridden by the much louder sounds of to-do lists, unfinished laundry and dishes, a jam-packed calendar, text messages, and life demands. My body doesn’t scream… it whispers. I have allowed external noise to take over.





Slow Cooked Barbecue Beef
Source: Emily Bites

Ingredients:
2 lb round roast of beef, lean and trimmed of visible fat (if roast is very thick, cut into a few pieces - I cut mine in thirds)
1 ½ c chopped onion
1 ½ c ketchup
1/3 c Worcestershire sauce
3 T brown sugar
3 T cider vinegar
2 t salt

Directions:

1. Mist the inside of your crock pot (or other pot) with cooking spray and brown beef on all sides on the stove top. Do not cook beef all the way through. Add chopped onion and continue to cook until golden.
2. Transfer pot (or contents of pot) back onto your crock pot base and add all other ingredients. Stir to combine. Turn crock pot temperature to medium and cover. Cook for 7-8 hours.
3. Remove meat and shred it using two forks. Return shredded meat to the sauce and stir to combine. Turn heat up to high to allow sauce to thicken and cook for an additional 45-60 minutes. Serve!

Yields 9 (1/2 cup) servings. Weight Watchers Points Plus: 5 per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment