Wednesday, October 10, 2012


We ALL know I am a huge fan...(no pun intended..:)) of Weight Watchers. But, it is also no secret, that I am not doing the "Points Plus Program" I am sure it works for some, BUT.. the "Free" idea of fruits and veggies are not for this gal~NOTHING is free, at least for me. IN MODERATION is not what got me to 309 pds. I could get fat on fruits and veggies. I need accountability! I did not do well with points plus, so I went back (thank God I kept my books) to momentum, the previous plan that I lost my weight on. This is what works for me. I have had enough interest lately about this topic, so I thought I would share this! hugs el



Weight Watcher's Points Plus not working well for all



Weight Watchers is best known for its Points System, which assigns specific values to different foods and permits each member a daily allotment. The Points System has been a very successful way to lose weight. I can personally attest to that.

The latest Weight Watchers system, is called Points Plus. It apparently was intended to” steer people toward more healthy food choices, encouraging people to eat more fresh fruits by giving them zero points, as most vegetables already were”. The problem is that many people going to Weight Watchers programs are having difficulty losing weight with the Points Plus system.Weight Watchers tried in December 2011 to address the concerns by recommending that” all members consider reducing their daily food intake, or points allotment, by 10 percent, not counting fruits and vegetables”)

On the Points Plus plan, dieters can have as much fruit as they want without counting any points for fruits.

Marjorie Nolan, speaking on behalf of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is quoted as saying “No single dietitian I know would count fruit as a ‘free’ food if someone is on a diet and trying to lose weight. You have to account for it,”…that is something we all would surely agree with. Weight Watchers defends its action saying that consumption of fruits is low in this country (talk about being on another planet)! In New York City that is definitely not so. I am not certain what the situation is in other parts of the country.



         This recipe is a very simple recipe for pinto beans. They will finish off nice and creamy and the vegetables will almost have completely dissolved. You can easily switch out the ingredients or leave out the Poblano if you don’t want any heat. Next time I would also probably add in some tomato paste or a diced fresh tomato as well.


Weight Watchers Simple Crock Pot Pinto Beans
Points: 3 weight watchers pointsplus
Servings: 12
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Nutritional Information: 130 calories, .5 g of fat, 24 g of carbohydrates, 9.5 g of fiber, 7.5 g of protein
Ingredients
1 pound pinto beans, rinsed
1 onion, diced
4 gloves of garlic, diced
1-2 poblanos, seeded and diced
1/2 tbsp of cumin
1 tsp of salt
1-2 bay leaves
Chicken or vegetable broth
Instructions
1. Start by rinsing your pinto beans and removing any sand or rocks.
2. Add the beans, onions, garlic, poblano, cumin, salt, and bay leaves to the crock pot. Cover with chicken broth until there is an inch of broth above the beans.
3. Cook for 8-10 hours until beans are soft.


http://www.slenderkitchen.com/simple-crock-pot-pinto-beans/
http://www.presentdiabetes.com/etalk/Weight-Watchers-Points-Plus-t5468.html#-1

No comments:

Post a Comment