Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Points Plus the new IT!!!


This is the newest "it" program. I must say.....a common sense plan. It really boils down to healthy eating. Stuff we knew already. But when you see it in black & white it all makes more sense. Learn it....explore it...live it....breath it....embrace it...love it...LOSE WEIGHT! I am anxious to see how I do this week, because like I said, this really was what I was doing on the old plan. Just a few less points,that's what is worrying me. We will see Saturday.



Ham and Cheese Scones
PointsPlus™ Value: 5
Servings: 8
Preparation Time: 18 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate


Whip up a batch of these delicious scones and enjoy a nutritious breakfast-on-the-go.







Ingredients

2 spray(s) cooking spray, or enough to coat sheet
1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup(s) whole-grain wheat flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
3 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, chilled, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup(s) cooked ham, sliced, cubed, or shredded, finely chopped
3/4 cup(s) buttermilk
2 large egg white(s)
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour, or up to 4 tbsp if necessary (for kneading dough)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a metal baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.


Combine first two flours, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse meal; stir in cheese and ham.


In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg whites with a fork. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.


Place dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5 to 6 times. Place dough on baking sheet and pat into an 8-inch circle; cut dough into 8 wedges. Bake until slightly browned, about 20 minutes. (Note: For a bit more flavor, add garlic seasoning to taste to the dough.)

1 comment:

  1. I agree.I am really liking it. I did spend over 2 hours at the store on my first grocery trip. Love the recipe. I will have to try it. thanks Ellen. you rock.

    ReplyDelete