Friday, March 16, 2012

Emotional Eating

When Emotional Eating Catches You By Surprise

This situation is defined as "emotional eating". For example, you have an emotion - like FEAR or SADNESS and decide that a donut, cookie, or ice cream is what you need to fix it.

I was somewhere last night, had an emotional moment...ok I will tell. I was at a sale. I bought a desk, not a huge desk, but big enough. I had a few guys I knew there from our small town . They told me they would help me if I bought anything.

Soooo, I waited. Well, I made a few hints about “I am not sure this will fit in my car” And.....I finally got tired of waiting. With MANY people around. I just picked up that bad boy and struggled out with it. You guessed it...NO ONE helped. I had a moment. I wanted to cry. BTW this menopause thing doesn't help either :) So I walk a a half block to my car. Visualize the limping walk, pushing with me knees. Men are watching....yes they are and not offering to help. From where I am from....you do not do this. When I got to my car, it didn't want to fit. But, it was going in my car....no matter what! So I took the back seat out! Done!

But, I wanted food, cigarettes, anything to help relieve stress.....NOW! I stopped at the gas station and actually caught myself thinking of pizza, fries, and smokes. But I got a grip, and bought a diet soda, and went home. Thanks for letting me vent :)....Just a thought here.....help a lady in need, and do not let stress get to you!

Food doesn't solve your problems. Yes, it solves the "I'm hungry" problem - but other than that food is just food.

I believe the first tool in tackling emotional eating is just to become aware of it.

One really good way to figure out if you are eating emotionally is to food journal with EMOTIONS. For example when I ate my toast this morning, I was feeling hungry and stressed. I probably didn't even taste it (and yes, I was standing up when I ate it).

After you get a handle on when emotional eating occurs in your day, you can start substituting other things for food. For example, deep breaths, a hug from someone nearby, or chewing on some gum.



Mexican Casserole

4 to 6 servings
6.5 pointsplus

1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 cup onion chopped
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes drained
1 ½ cups frozen corn
1 (540 ml) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon crushed chile
1 c. fat free sour cream
½ cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions:
1. Brown hamburger and onions in large skillet, until thoroughly cooked.
2. Add tomatoes, corn, back beans and crushed chilies, mix well.
3. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Mix in sour cream, simmer another 10 minutes.
5. Top with cheese when serving.


Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-casserole-weight-watchers-218996#ixzz1pHJMFcWw

No comments:

Post a Comment