Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Never eat directly out of a box or a bag!

Once upon a time.. I used to kill the bag. Destroy the box. I could barely sit down before I tore into it… whatever the “it” was for the day.

I’m talkin’ about snackin’. Although, for me, it was never really a snack. Not in the traditional sense – it wasn’t simply a little bit to hold me over. It was a LOT to hold me over unnecessarily… and on a regular basis.

I remember one day, coming home from the grocery and getting ready to start putting everything away… and the first bag I opened had a bag of cookies inside. Guilty pleasure, yes they were. It felt like for every item I put in the fridge, I was tossing a cookie in my mouth. I don’t even know if I consciously realized what I was doing at that time.. but I was just eatin’ for the sake of eatin’.

Now… it’s all funny and jokes until I think about the fact that by the time I had finished putting the groceries away, I had finished the entire bag of cookies. There’s what – 24 cookies in a bag, right? If one serving size of 3 cookies is 140 calories… 24 divided by 3 equals 8 servings in a bag… so if I ate 140 calories 8 times… that’s over a thousand calories in one fell swoop.

I realized this was a habit for me. If I ate some goldfish crackers, I’d just get them directly out of the box. Pour them from my hand directly into my mouth – that way I never had to face how much of them I was eating. Not like I didn’t care, but… I didn’t care.

If I ate some ice cream? I’d get a spoonful from the pint, sometimes leave the spoon on top of the ice cream and go back to what I was doing. Cheez-its? Pfft, don’t even. My hand would go from box to mouth.

But then, I started reading the nutrition labels. I could never gauge – and if I did, I’d underestimate – just how much of something I was eating. It was getting in the way of my calorie counting. Of knowing what I was really putting in my body. So… I had to figure out a plan. A way to get a better grasp on how much food I was scarfing down mindlessly.

I bought myself a bag of blue corn chips. They taste a little heavier than your typical tortilla chips, but there’s this rich-and-almost-velvety taste to them that totally rocks. I turned the bag over, and took note of the serving size. 1 serving is equal to 15 chips. I then promptly grabbed a box of ziploc bags, and got to work.
This is huge to me. I love the snack size bags! They are just the perfect size for a couple ounces. Perfect for me. Chicken, raisins, grapes,crax....the list goes on & on.

Everyone knows that some foods are better snacking choices than others. What's not so easy in real life is putting all the stuff we know about healthy snacking into practice. In other words, it's tough to balance those "oops, I know I should only have a little bit of this but I just ate the whole bag" munchies with the healthy foods we know we should be eating.






I got a scale this week at W.W. a real scale. I had one from 100 years ago. I love it I have weighed everything but the dog this week. I have found I was cheating myself....and not this week. A real eye opener.








Weight Watchers Buffalo Chicken Bites
This came out very tasty and was very filling.

1lb ground chicken

1lb ground beaf

2 tsp of paprika

1 tsp cayenne pepper

4 cloves of garlic

1/2 parsley

1 cup onion finely chopped

1 cup buffalo wing sauce

16 tbsp of Smart Balance Buttery Spread

Directions:

Mix ground chicken and ground turkey
Add the onion, garlic, parsley and paprika
Add the Mrs Dash and a dash of black pepper
Form mixture into 18 meatballs
Bake at 375 for 30 minutes until cook.
In a separate pan meal melt the butter and hot sauce
When meat balls are done cover with sauce

Weight Watchers Buffalo Chicken Bites-12 points for 3 of them

I had it for lunch with celery and it was yummy

If you try this recipe please leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment